Job Description: The Assistant Production Potter is intended to be a “catch-all” for the Lead Production Potter. By assisting in a variety of tasks, this staff member will be able to keep the Production team working smoothly and efficiently. Most tasks will be those that require intermediate pottery skills, and the Assistant can grow to have more tasks & hours as his/her skill grows with the job.
The ideal candidate would be relatively self-directed and motivated to stay on top of all the multiple orders and create the best system he/she can. This person would also be able to work within the systems already set up by many years of trial and error of this particular Studio, while also being flexible in finding new solutions to problems as they arise. The Production Assistant would also need to work in conjunction regularly with the team of the Owner, Lead Production Potter, Studio Technician, and the Education Coordinator, as the areas are interdependent, will have overlap, and require strength in every area to function well as a whole. This staff person must constantly be working to improve and create better organization and functionality of the Studio’s processes, skill set and systems around Production orders, and not need to wait for direction before seeing what needs to be done.
Because the Production Assistant position requires a significant level of “on boarding” and training by Stray Cat staff to learn our systems and processes, we feel the position is best achieved by staff continuity, and thus we require a 2 year commitment.
● Strong organizational skills
● Ability to self-direct on to-do lists, and anticipate what needs to be done
● Flexibility in working with other team members, and a desire to utilize the full team’s expertise in problem solving
● Ability to seek compromise and work with members to find solutions that fit their needs as well as the Studio’s
● Maturity around conflict management, both in this position, but also helping members to resolve theirs.
● Strong working knowledge, experience, and ability to perform tasks related to ceramics, and a curiosity that is willing to seek out answers from many sources when they are unknown.
● Interest in ongoing learning and professional development opportunities around ceramics, organizational skills, emotional health, conflict resolution, leadership, etc.
● Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work alongside others teammates and studio members in the shared studio space.
● Reliable and trustworthiness around task completion without follow up from others.
● Ability to navigate many computer technology programs and systems: Google Drive, calendar and gmail, Trello (for organizing orders), Dropbox, Mac computer systems, Square for selling, among others. It is expected that the employee will make time to become familiar with these programs and apps as needed. Hours:
● 5-10 Hours a week to begin.
● Required to work two days a week in the studio between the hours of 9 AM - 5 PM during social distancing. Hours can be more flexible once the restrictions are lifted and a greater quantity of people can be in the Studio at the same time.
● Attend weekly staff meetings (1x weekly minimum) Communication:
● Must check and respond to emails regularly, at a minimum of Monday-Friday, 9a-5p., and be available to answer all customer, teammate, and member communication within 24 hours.
● Ability to navigate many computer technology programs and systems: Google Drive, calendar and gmail, Trello (for organizing orders), Dropbox, Mac computer systems, Square for selling, among others. It is expected that the employee will make time to become familiar with these programs and apps until competency is achieved.
● Production emails and texts with Lead Production Potter, Studio technician, and other studio coworkers or members to communicate about project updates as needed.
● High comfort level with technology and organizational apps such as Trello, etc. Production Pottery
Assist Lead Production Potter with all tasks including, but not limited to:
● Waxing pots
● Glazing pots
● Test samples of glazes for orders as needed in collaboration with the Studio Technician
● Sand, tag, box pottery when finished
● Load/unload production bisque and glaze kilns when Studio Technician is not available.
● Color and Black & White Decal application
● Slab and handbuilding work
● Fulfilling orders and meeting production deadlines Organizing/Packaging:
● Use shipping station to properly wrap pottery in SCS branding material
● Properly wrap pots so they do not break in transport to customer (for pick up or shipping) General Tasks: In conjunction with the Studio Technician, tasks that help the business as a whole may include:
● Cleaning kilns
● Cleaning and organizing studio and production space as needed
● Pug clay
● Update seconds in shop
● Other Duties as assigned